Thursday, February 12, 2009

Not music driven

There are too many pieces to a church service that people have to pick through in finding a church. I constantly hear (and say myself) "Oh the teaching is so good there, but I don't like the music," or vice versa. We pick or don't pick our community so often based on musical tastes. Is this even close to where we should be as God's hand to the earth? Are we crazy? But no, it's about us. We make it about us. Christy and I have been looking at a church lately and I don't want to go there because I don't want to sit through the music for 30 minutes but I like the teaching. I have this inner battle about it.

But the truth is community should not exist around a show. Anyone here a member of the Stomp community or the Cats community? (You would be if tradition and God had a thing to do with it) The worship experience is much more than music. I do not want someone's words of a time 6 years ago when he was effected by God in such in such a way to be my expression at that moment. Songs are meant to inspire and be a guide (and often a teacher), but they are not the worship experience. Musical talent at a local church should not dictate a church's growth. I often even wonder if we should have music because of the division it often brings. If a major goal of the church is unity ("May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.") then this should matter to us. But it's such an effective tool at times, I have to believe music is important for community worship at times, not every time.

And please read Susi's post in the previous post, right on. I can not focus for a second while someone is playing behind the prayer. It's the one time in the service where we allow the Bible or message to speak to us and to challenge and change us, and then there is soothing music behind it. Can we let God change us please! Reminds me of David playing to sooth Saul, but there are times when God doesn't want us to be soothed at that moment.

Phew, longer one (and I deleted like half of it to keep it shorter).


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder what a church with no music would be like? Would people our age go?

What if the order was breakfast together, prayer together, a short teaching, silent prayer, then more time together?

Would we notice music was missing?

Unknown said...

...and of course the Eucharist or a baby dedication or a children's sermon, or whatever else your denomination believes "needs" to be a part of the service".

Anonymous said...

Isn't the question though about what tool leads a community into worship or unity with God? And it is different for many people. For me, I am a music person. Music actually does lead me into worship and into a deeper relationship with Christ. It is one of the few times that I feel Him and can hear Him and can talk to him. It allows me to focus my mind on Him. I honestly would dislike going to church if there was no music. I would leave empty. I think the teaching or message appeals to my brain and how I am to interact as a Christ follower. But the music appeals to my emotional side (yes, I am an emotional person in case I haven't already given it away...just ask my husband!). And perhaps I am a selfish worshipper. I don't go to talk to a bunch of people. I go to worship my God and my savior. Me. Just me. To have time with Him. But perhaps that is my problem. I am not viewing this as a community gathering, but a time for myself. Now that I think about it, really I should be taking care of my relationship outside of "church" and coming to the gathering to be with others and to bounce ideas off each other. I think I see where this post was going now...but I'm still a music fan! :)

Robbie Cape said...

Love the post, and the poster!